- Today is the fourth day of my self-initiated "Two week Staycation." With the plan to travel unravelling, I am realizing the benefit of finding quiet time and space right here at home. On June 1st the studio will reopen for summer art classes, due to popular demand. Please contact me if you do not plan to continue art lessons in the summer, would like to change your scheduled lesson time, or have a friend who would like to join you. If you are interested in a week-long Adventures in Art workshop in July, I would like to know that too!
- Spent a wonderful three weeks in Florida, right when the winter was feeling "old," flying over the beauteous beaches and swamp lands and keys of the sunny coasts. Played around with a "big idea" of furthering my education in airframe and powerplant mechanics, but have since had doors on that path close with sound resolution. Just as beautifullly and surprisingly as my joyous participation with "Wings of Freedom" began, it has come to an end, with nothing but gratefulness remaining, (especially for my enduring and supportive friend Chip.)
- Daughter Sierra endured some anxious moments and busy schedules to complete her first year in Columbia, attending Stephens College as a Costume Design major. With merely a long weekend break, she then jumped into the six week Summer Theatre Intensive program, which is credited toward her three-year degree. I plan to see her in a couple weeks, not willing to wait until her homecoming on June 22.
- Son Gabe is driving and studying his way through his junior year at JHS, performing with friends in school choirs, playing the electric guitar and creating digital art as expression of his creative voice.
- Completed the JHS Pop Concert stage backdrop for the 7th straight year.
- Visited the Beale Street Music Festival in Memphis in May, as well as Sun Studio, in celebration of my birthday and twenty amazing years with husband, Chip.
- Though I trained to hold a certification as a Yoga Fit Instructor in 2011, I completed another level of training to graduate this past weekend as a 200 hr Registered Yoga Teacher. The nine month program was a wonderful journey with wonderful classmates and instructors. The "3rd weekend yoga bubble" will be missed, but I continue to share this integrated practice with strong, devoted students at both Yoga East Healing Arts Studio in Cape and with the YoGo group in Gordonville.
- I have welcomed new and returning students for the spring semester at Open Window Studio, now in its 14th year. I have welcomed opportunities to serve as art teacher for the elderly in their homes, as art teacher for youth programs at the library, as a team leader for the Therapeutic Horsemanship program, as a substitute teacher, and as art program teacher for girl scout troops. This semester also marks the 7th year of offering the Adventures in Art after-school program at St. Paul Lutheran School. It is is a blessing to welcome these continuing invitations to encourage and teach, and I am grateful for the continued support of our community.
Perhaps you are interested in developing your artistic skills to better express your vision. Perhaps you are ready to rediscover the joy of nurturing your art. Perhaps you are seeking other options when art class won't fit into your school semester schedule. Perhaps you have a burning desire to create something meaningful to share with the world. Open Window Studio offers many such opportunities for "some serious fun!" Although the flexibility of personalized private lessons at Open Window Studio allow you to design a path in creative discovery and technical skill custom tailored to your interests, there is a progression that may be beneficial for artists looking for solid development in the fundamentals of composition, media technique and specific skills. That path may look like this:
NURTURING CREATIVE EXPRESSION
- Basic drawing skills
- Compositional design
- Color theory
- Understanding Perspective and Proportion
- Pastel Painting / Portraiture
- Acrylic Painting
- Oil Painting / Portraiture
- Pen & Ink
- Watercolor Painting
- Printmaking / Screenprinting
- Fashion, Fabrics and Textiles
- Sculpting / Hand Built Ceramics
- Collage / Bookmaking / Papercraft
- Landscape / Plein Aire
- Still life / Florals
- Animals / Pets / Horses / Wildlife / Nature Journals
- Abstract Expressionism
- Architectural Design
- Art & Soul Yoga Workshops
- Adventures in Art ( multimedia )
- Art Appreciation
(In addition, any of these specialties can be chosen as inspiration for work commissioned of Kelly Hughes, including murals, borders and backdrops, business logos/signage, book illustration, portraiture, pet portraits and custom painting projects.)
Thank you for your courtesy and cooperation in making the scheduling process convenient for all concerned. By calling ahead to cancel or reschedule, and by arriving promptly at your scheduled lesson time, you help the days flow smoothly. Please be reminded of these studio policies regarding class cancellations: